Saturday 9 February 2013

Judging a book by its cover (not cool)

Reading: Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Listening to: "Anything Could Happen" by Ella Goulding
Outside: Chilly but still


Today, I want to talk about the film Sucker Punch.



My first impression was this:




My friend came to work some time ago said she had watched Sucker Punch the night before.

And I snorted.

Actually snorted.

I was disgusted. I just thought, I do not want to see some little Sailor Moon battle it out in some inane video game. I do not want to watch something fifteen-year-old boys lust over. Absolutely not.

I will not be part of this.

But then I watched it.

And I had no clue how good it was.

It was artistic and profound. It was cerebral and complex. It contained a message that lingered with me long after the film was over.


And so it has moved up the ranks to one of my Top 5 Favorite Films of all time.

I am reminded that I should never, ever, ever judge a book by its cover.

Maybe the pouty-lipped blonde dressed in a skimpy outfit isn't there just for boys to slobber all over.

Maybe there is a real story to be told.

And maybe the Gothic fantasy, the armor and axes, the fishnet thighs and heavy Bjork beat just help that story along.

I highly recommend Sucker Punch and ask that you approach it with caution - you might find yourself enjoying it, despite yourself.


Happy Saturday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment