Saturday 22 September 2012

Autumn!

Reading: Drum by Kyle Onstott
Listening to: "I Will Wait" by Mumford & Sons
Weather: Crisp, clear, with the beginnings of a distinct autumn edge


Behold!

The first day of Autumn has arrived!



A thatched-roof cottage in the middle of the autumn woods? Bring on the hot cocoa!

Autumn
(a little poem by moi)

Bring me the fuzzy sweaters, the jackets of leather, the thick tights against the cold!

Bring me the fireside chats, the tick of the radiator's warmth!

I want the cinnamon, the spices, the blankets and the stew!

I want the burgundy chrysanthemum's musty scent, the pumpkin's orange smile, the crackling of bonfires in the night!

Bring me the wind's fleshless pucker against the eaves of the house!

The shadows getting deeper, the nights getting longer!


Take my hand and let's go, as the seasons draw to a close -

Shedding Summer's sweaty heat, forgetting Spring's shower tantrums -

Let us go, the world's turning, let's brace ourselves for the night:

It seeks us all.

Listen: its whisper's profound.





Here's to a beautiful Saturday, and your First Day of Autumn 2012. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Haha.. I love the poem. Autumn is my favorite season and time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you love the poem AND autumn, which is hands down my favorite time of year as well. Even now I can imagine Tuttle's Orchard: its sky-high display of pumpkins, and the hay bales, and the little shop full of apple cider, apple butter, stewed apples and baked apples and fried apples...kids' laughter ringing in the distance... good times! x

      Delete