Sunday 20 November 2011

Requested materials

I never thought I could be so excited about a simple cardboard box.

But I am!

Now we have an agency in San Francisco requesting to see my little book, and so I have gone out and purchased a box. And I get to finally use that puffy envelope that I bought, expressly for this purpose, about a year ago. All I needed was an agency that wanted to see it (by post), and BOOM! Now I have one.

Now comes all the little giddy moments involved with printing and preparing the manuscript, and writing the author bio that they asked for (which was far harder than it should ever be), and looking for a picture for the author bio (which was even harder than writing it, because all of my pictures seem to be horribly awful), and putting all these oodles of pages into the pre-destined puffy envelope to go inside the holy box. And then I get to write "Requested Materials" on the outside of that box. This is something I've wanted to do all my life. I mean, there's sky-diving, and then there's this.

I will be doing this on Thursday, which, for my American readers, will be Thanksgiving Day. I have the day off from work as I do every year, and so I'll actually have time to get to the post office before they close. I think it will be an especially special day of thanks, as I will be giving thanks to a particular literary agency in San Francisco for wanting to see my book. I think that's a good thing to be thankful for. I can also give thanks to all my peeps out there, my friends and family and neighbors and beta readers all, because they were the ones who helped shape this little book from its primitive beginnings to the Faberge egg it now is. (Not to say it can't still use improvement, of course. Of course. I wait for agents and editors to tell me their thoughts.)



And so now, as of Thursday, I sit back and find something else to do for three months!

Happy Sunday, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment