Monday 27 August 2012

Teux-deux list

Listening to: Creed "Six Feet From the Edge"
Reading: Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman
What it's like outside: Meh.

And so.


Behold! The shaky beginnings of another day (I take one last thirsty sip of my first coffee of the morning). But today is different. Today! Is! Bank! Holiday! Monday!

A day in which I stay home. The house has a Monday feel though, and I get this sneaky feeling that I'm skipping school. But I am not.

But you know what's so ironic? I've already crammed in everything I needed to do into Saturday and yesterday (clean the house, exercise, run through wedding day requirements with a fine-toothed comb, finish the first draft of Drowning Rachel, visit Morrisons to buy more hay fever tablets), and I literally only have one thing on my Teux-Deux List for today: nothing.

But I'm sure I can find something else to do.

I could - have another cup of coffee!

I could - work on next week's exercise for my writing group, the one that's supposed to be a relevatory experience in their capacity for dreaming the undreamable, seeing the unseeable, writing what's invisible, tapping into that most sacred, most devastatingly fragile part of the human condition.

I could - chew my nails as I wait to hear back from my editor (on one book) and an agent (on another book).

I could - write a letter to my friend.

I could - visit my neighbour's cat!

Today opens before me like a great book. Who knows what's in store?

Whatever you do today, here's to getting the most out of it.

Enjoy your Monday!






No comments:

Post a Comment