Thursday 3 February 2011

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for...

Mad Face in the Wall at the Vintage Rock Bar in St. George Gate, Doncaster town centre

Tadaaaaaa!!!!

There are timeless works of art by indescribably talented artists (Monet, Rodin, Da Vinci, Kahlo) and then there's this. The way of seeing the world from your "pithy middle eye out" like Jack Kerouac says in his List of Essentials (words to live by, boys and girls!). Whoever saw this face in a wooden board on a bathroom stall wall and then created a name for it, I salute you.

I took two snaps of this because I was so impressed; I can't decide which one I like better. So here's the other one.



Ooooo this gives me the heebie geebies.

Anyway, this, I think, classifies as found poetry. Those deep, effortless, yet profound comments etched lovingly into the walls of our most private - and yet public - space really afford us a moment to look around us, "swimming in language sea," to borrow from Kerouac again... And come nose to nose with a Mad Face.

A perfect, candid example of this priceless nugget of wisdom and inspiration: See what is invisible, boys and girls, and you see what to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment