Wednesday 2 February 2011

You never know what you'll find

 On the inside of a stall door in the women's bathroom in Chesterfield, home of the Crooked Spire.

I found this funny because - and I am saying this with all due respect - the British in general have a polite way of saying everything. I mean, except for Jeremy Kyle, where you can find as many swear words that exist under the sun, and other ones that don't,I would just like to say that I think this is the kindest, gentlest, most proper way of, you know, asking someone if they wouldn't be so kind as to not leave a mess all over the toilet seat.


Church of St. Mary And All Saints, aka The Crooked Spire Church. September 2007.

"Health.
On leaving the Lavatory, please see same is as clean as you would wish to find it yourself on entering. THANK YOU."

Getting back to my American roots,and I do have to admit that it took me a couple times of reading this to ascertain what it meant, it was written in such a fancy way, it really made the experience of visiting the public restrooms in Chesterfield that much more posh. I can only say that I'd probably come across as nothing more than a degenerate bearded lumber-jack saying keep it clean, will ya, for crying out loud. And even this some might consider tame.

Not to say I linger in bathrooms for longer than a person normally should, but there is no greater aspect to the rawness of a culture than to finding yourself face-to-face with scribbles on the wall of a bathroom stall - the discoveries are endless.

It just goes to show what poetry you can find in the most unexpected places.

More entertaining bathroom graffiti is forthcoming.

2 comments:

  1. I also have to admit it took me a couple of times reading it to comprehend it...and I'm born and bred Yorkshire...lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL well at least it's not just me then! Haha x

    ReplyDelete