Monday 7 May 2012

Edits are so Novel! Or, Novel Edits!

Currently reading: Contact by Carl Sagan
Currently listening to: me munching on cereal (Neat Wheats)
Current weather: Sunny! OMG! And on a Bank Holiday Monday!

This beautiful day off sees me plunging back into the first draft of a novel I just completed yesterday. My better half was busy trimming hedges and plundering the house for DIY tasks, so I found myself with four hours completely free to get my trusty pen out and start slashing away at inconsistent verb tenses, messed up time sequencing, and previously undetected character name swaps offending or unclear areas of the text.

And let me tell you, I am loving it.


Like a... yeah.


So today I'm back at it again, and I have to say to the British Government (or whoever decided on Bank Holidays): I am impressed. Thank you for giving me this time off to do what I really want and need to do. I am so, so grateful for this day with which to do as I please. Thank you. Again, thank you. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

Pen, check!
Pot of coffee, check!
Extra pen in a different colour, check!
Open mind, visionary tics shivering in the chest,* check!

Time to roll up my sleeves and go.

Happy Monday, all!


*from Jack Kerouac's List of Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment