Sunday 24 July 2011

Yay Gov'na!

If you don't already know, this is a special day in history.



Being who I am, I always defined myself in terms of feminism: the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes. I've always acted and felt that there was always the glass ceiling to break through, that we as a society should do away with words like 'actress' and 'manageress.' These thoughts haven't changed. We do not have doctoresses, we have doctors. I think a career should not change its name to suit the person's gender.

However, I have just found out today that, after thirty days following the official legalization of equal marriage in New York, as signed into law by Governor Cuomo, equal marriages are now taking place in New York! The Human Rights Campaign has done wonders to appeal to the US Government about discriminatory laws that need to be changed.

I recognize the need for the world to embrace tolerance and acceptance for everybody, not just women (or anyone who is not a white male). And so I am proud to support the LGBT movement in hopes that not only feminism but - what I like to call -  equalism will be accepted way forward. Everyone should have legal rights.




No comments:

Post a Comment