Wednesday 9 February 2011

Other uses for books

For those of us who are not the readerly type, who would maybe rather jump rope or throw some zebra clay on the potter's wheel to create that dream coffee mug, or watch a movie (which are really often just adapations of books, at the end of the day) or, I don't know, do cartwheels down a long, grassy, gently sloping slope, this is another use of books:



Other popular uses are as coasters and to hold other books open when you're typing notes.

But there's something about books, I don't know, I don't like using them as coasters. I would rather use a CD cover, because let's face it, who really buys CDs anymore? Aren't they kind of antiquated even now? What else would a person use a CD cover for anyway? Nothing. Fact of the matter is, you don't even have any CDs left because you sold them to fund your drug habit, shoe fetish, or that secret Precious Moments ceramic figurine collection you can't bear to tell anybody about college education.

Besides, I am not a happy person when I see a water ring on the cover of a book. It's just, you know, part of my belief system. How can I face a book with a water ring on it??

And I guess that brings me to my next point, never judge a book by its cover. Gulliver's Travels will still be just as shockingly entertaining no matter what century it is in, and - perhaps - no matter how many water rings it has on its cover(s). I guess sometimes the worn-in look is synonymous with the much-loved look.

No comments:

Post a Comment