Sunday 23 January 2011

One Hell of a Book


Just thought I'd put it out there, and you have to excuse the slightly obsessive stalker-type photo, this is just a close-up of a previous photo from this post of some of the stuff I got for my birthday, which seems like a long time ago now (really just barely a month ago) but I am still, of course, enjoying these gifts that just keep on giving. Case in point: Audrey Niffenegger's Her Fearful Symmetry. It is, without a doubt, a compelling read. It is, as the title of this post suggests, even asserts: one hell of a book. I couldn't help but forget about the horrible space invader quality of an early morning train commute or the dark and rather miserable return train commute as I read this book. For those who haven't read Her Fearful Symmetry yet - and no worries, I'm not here to spoil it - let it suffice to say that this was very different from The Time Traveller's Wife. In fact it was a whole other realm. It is a clever and deep story, soulful even, at times complex (don't let that discourage you, because after all, Niffenegger works in intricate threads of thought and character the way others work in clay or oil paints; it is her true medium) and it is well worth a read.

I highly recommend it and I hope you take a pure nugget of truth from it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment