Sunday 9 October 2011

And now for something completely different

London Fashion Week, Day 4!
Gaspard Yurkievich, SS12. As found on Slanelle's lovely blog site. 

I am not really sure what Gaspard Yurkievich means, or what SS12 means. I don't even know exactly where this takes place except somewhere in London. (Gosh, you'd think I'd do some research before splatting this on my blog, wouldn't you?) I just liked the picture.

I don't even really know why: you've got the twig models gliding around under hot spotlights treading across what seems to be ticker tape from a day at Wall Street gone incredibly well, a forest of important people looking on, deciding what will be worn in seasons to come, but the brilliant thing from this shot is the immense chandelier that presides over everything. It gives it a grand, kind of new-age Victorian look that makes me feel glad. Glamorous. Opulent. Omnicient.

For some reason it appeals to me today of all days. Maybe it's because it's a reminder there's always something bigger than us, and more timeless, hanging around - a chandelier, a California redwood, a mountain, your particular deity, a cause that you stand for - that will always be there, impressing and changing people, after you've gone.

(Whew, I think it's time for another coffee.)

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment