Sunday 28 August 2011

Keeping it real

And so we are going out sofa shopping again. If I survive this day, well. Then that means anything is possible. If my better half survives this day, it will be a miracle.



But my mind is on other things.

I have just finished reading Nevil Shute's On the Beach, which was published in 1957.

You could say it was a different world back then. World War II wasn't so far away, and Shute had a big hand in that. In fact he created his own airplane company. But as an author he wrote some two dozen books, and On the Beach is by far one of his most famous.


If you are a fan of I am Legend, either the film or the book (both are insanely good), you will like this rather gentle look at what people do when waiting for nuclear fallout to come into their homes. It is delicate in that the concept is really rather scary - waiting around for the world to end, and all the sacrifices and horror that entails - but Shute creates a believable story, one that you could fit yourself right into. Shute, he keeps it real.

I don't want to say too much about it so I'll just say, why don't you read it and tell me what you think?

I have now read it for the second time and liked it even more this time.

Also, I have no idea how but I think someone needs to write a screenplay based on this novel. It would make an excellent movie.

Right, I guess it's back to sofa hunting. Wish me luck - this could get violent.



No comments:

Post a Comment